The cars with the lowest and highest depreciation

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by bad seed, Oct 11, 2018.

1. blitzk

blitzk Red Belt

are there any quality arguments behind the Wrangler's low depreciation or is it just market demand that keeps them expensive?

2. boingyman

boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

I agree that most families want/have either a SUV or Van, but I still see a lot of sedans out there when it comes to actual cars.

3. Dirt Road Soldier

Dirt Road Soldier Salt the flesh! Fuck the wound!

This thread makes me miss my 99 Wrangler. Big lift, 35 inch mudders with the 5 speed. Damn thing was fucking unstoppable in the snow, I could crawl through 4 feet of snow with ease and never worry about it. Went river running with it more than once, sunk it up to the windows and it just kept going.

Sadly, I made the mistake of capitulating to my then-wife and selling it so I could get something she wasnt deathly afraid of riding in as a good guest of wind felt like it would flip it.

Market demand, they are actually super reliable, and the fact that every part can be replaced aftermarket at reasonable prices makes them a customizers wet dream. If you hear someone say you can build a jeep entirely from a catalog, they aren't joking.

4. bad seed

bad seed Gold Belt

there is really no other car like it on the market anymore. A short wheelbase body on frame offroader with solid axles front and rear. Highly customizable and rock solid dependability. The closest thing is the G Wagon but that starts at 100k

5. Scott Parker 27

Scott Parker 27 Your Mom's Box

I agree with the tacomas being great with resale value. I recently sold my 03 taco to carmax for 11k, had about 160k miles on it. I wanted to buy something a little faster, maybe like a mustang, but I had to buy a new taco just because they hold their value so well, and I love off roading.

6. IIIIIIII

IIIIIIII Titanium Belt

i still can't get over the fact that the germans can't figure out how to build their technically-advanced cars without having them fail. for people who are very adamant on making this properly, they sure don't mind letting their cars fail.

therealdope likes this.
  7. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

I wouldn’t be caught dead in one of those slow depreciating shit boxes.

8. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

The 4.0L wasn't great horsepower wise but they'll outlast the rest of the Jeep, those things are damn near indestructible. I see XJ's with the 4.0L that have over 300k miles for sale all the time.
    The AMC Spirit AMX is still on my list of cars I want to own before I die.
    [​IMG]

Krixes likes this.
  9. bad seed

bad seed Gold Belt

what does a decent one go for these days?

10. BoogerDawson

BoogerDawson Black Belt

Damn, that Mercedes S-class at 69.9%

11. Fedorgasm

Fedorgasm Silver Belt

Jeep Wrangler makes sense, because people who buy them also customize the shit out of them. They beef up the suspension, get huge tires, etc. So when they sell it, they ask for higher prices because of all the upgrades.

Also, the leaf makes sense with the most depreciation because the batteries have a limited life.

Luxury cars also have the most depreciation because it's only a status symbol when it's new. But nobody's impressed with your old ass BMW. For that reason, BMW and Mercedes didn't even focus on longevity anymore because their customer demographic don't need it. They never keep their cars for now than a few years.

12. jefferz

XJ's with that many miles still for for $4k-$5k
    Those Spirit's go for around $20k completely restored, but they don't come up to often.

13. Krixes

Krixes Black Belt

Yeah I heard they will literally run forever, I can see why they have such a loyal following. That AMX Spirit is so cool. I'd end up ruining it (Original Value) by doing an lsx swap or coyote swap most likely though.

14. jefferz

Parts are super cheap for the XJ as well, every junkyard will have at least 5.
    There's a couple of LSX swapped Spirits on the youtubes. I'd do the same thing.

Krixes likes this.
  15. pinger

pinger Brown Belt Platinum Member

Every single Jeep model released in Australia has had a recall. Not respected down here.

Luminosity likes this.
  16. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

They put the coils in the radiator to both cool and heat the transmission fluid and it's been that way since at least the 1950s. Some towing packages included an external cooler.

therealdope likes this.
  17. phipps66

phipps66 Purple Belt

Body on frame SUV owner checking in. Best of both worlds!

It's an Armada, and has pretty high depreciation if I'm being honest. :(

18. phipps66

phipps66 Purple Belt

Insane! Also funny how it took them 22 seconds to show a sub 12 second pass. I was like ummm this doesn't seem fast...

19. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

In 2006 i looked for the highest depreciating AWD 3 rows of seating vehicle for my wife. It turned out to be the Lincoln Aviator. I paid $25k for an '04 aviator with 26,000miles. the sticker was almost $60k.

That was one of the best buys I've ever made. It was a nice car (truck) for my wife and nothing really ever went wrong with it until she was rear ended and the insurance company fucked us around (long story).

pinger likes this.
  20. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

BMWs are horrible --- no matter what their lemming owners believe.