Spotting people at the gym

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by DataBreach, Oct 11, 2018.

1. closequarters

closequarters Purple Belt

I had someone get pissy at me recently because I assisted his last bench press rep when he was clearly about to fail. I barely helped at all. When his upward motion haulted and his arms started shaking, I just slightly lifted the bar. He said I didn’t let him complete his last rep. I thought I just prevented him from dropping the bar on himself. I guess we were on different pages. I just shrugged and said my bad, I thought you were done so I err’d on the side of caution. Fucker asks me for a spot again a few minutes later, ugh. This time he was clearly about to fail, so I assisted again. Fucker got pissy again, lol. I just told him, “ask someone else for your next set.” I think the guy was just a jerk. He was a 40 something year old with basically a dadbod. He was taking his workout way too serious. He should not come alone or maybe hire a coach. Getting mad at a stranger who was trying to make sure he didn’t hurt himself is an asshole move.

I hate spotting people (but usually won’t say no if asked) and I don’t ask people to spot me. If I didn’t come with a buddy, I don’t get to push myself that day. Squats, snatches, cleans or any other awkward spotting positions? Forget about it. I say no.

DataBreach and Tone C like this.
  2. JSN

JSN #NotMyNelly

What the hell are you talking about? By your logic how is the 200 pound guy going to squat 400 pounds in the first place? The spotter assists the squatter; he doesn’t lift the effing weight himself from a mechanically disadvantaged position.

3. Boomb

Boomb Hate the game, not the player.

I read that as "Spitting people in the Gym" I was like <{MindBrown}>

But then I opened the thread.

DataBreach likes this.
  4. Jimmy McGill

Jimmy McGill S'all good man

I spotted someone in the gym last night, a red head, jfc, she was mighty fine. <20>

DataBreach likes this.
  5. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

Well some people don't have racks with safeties . Other people, like myself, compete in powerlifting so we train in an open rack with no safeties to get used to how it will be in competition.

Rimbaud82 likes this.
  6. AznTrojan

AznTrojan Silver Belt

just teabag them once while you're spotting them and they won't ask you again..

Grassshoppa and DataBreach like this.
  7. MaxMMA

MaxMMA Purple Belt

I hate when people ask to spot them on squats.

First of all if you can't get that weight up that's loaded on your shoulders, I'm definitely not going to be able to get that weight up with it loaded onto my outstretched hands with a body between me and said weight.

Second, why would you not use the safety bars on the rack? You can usually set them to within 2 inches of where the bar will be once you drop to your lowest depth. If you can't get out of the squat once you go down all you need to do is lean backward or forward a little bit for the safety bars to catch the weight.

DataBreach likes this.
  8. TheLinguist

TheLinguist Green Belt

I used to get asked often to spot (I’m a tall German) I always say no, they usually reply with:

“you can’t spot me?”

To which my retort is:

“No, I cannot, I have to leave now”

I then carry on doing my exercises for the duration needed.

I’m not employed by the gym (nor would I ever allow myself to be a lowly “gym coach”) and quite frankly, I couldn’t give a fuck about anyone who isn’t family

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  9. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

WHat kind of gym doesn't have a power cage or bars coming out of the rack to catch the bar.. Would never go to a gym that required going full homo to be safe.

thomnasty and DataBreach like this.
  10. Satsui Ryu

Satsui Ryu Brown Belt

Squat racks and cages have safety bars to catch the bar. Why would anyone ask for a spot? Chances are they are really asking for something else.

DataBreach likes this.
  11. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

But would you do that on a max effort lift without spotters that you know there? I sure as hell wouldn't.

DataBreach likes this.
  12. Left Hook Lacy

Left Hook Lacy Green Belt

I'm not a good lifter or anything but how people can squat without safeties is crazy to me. What if your knee gives out? The spotter is not going to stop the bar from crashing down on you.

I guess with a front squat you still have a chance to drop the bar.

DataBreach likes this.
  13. DataBreach

DataBreach Cocaine Fueled Decision Making Belt

Thank you.

My points exactly.

14. DataBreach

I can tell you don't lift. With heavy weight the spotter might end up carrying all the weight. Just look at the bench press gif in the second post. Lol.

That's why spotting for squats should be two people at the end of the bar. That, or just let the weight fall off your back and take the shame of making noise because you went to heavy.

15. DataBreach

<{dayum}>

16. JSN

JSN #NotMyNelly

How dare you accuse me of not lifting. You don’t lift. There’s a world of difference between a high level lifter approaching a PR of volume and technique work that can be spotted by a single person.

Phlog likes this.
  17. thomnasty

thomnasty Purple Belt

Nothing strange/akward about spotting squats that way at all.

In fact, whenever I’m in the gym, I always insist on spotting bros who are squaring without spotters.

18. Grassshoppa

Grassshoppa Green Belt

You said snatch.

[​IMG]

19. DataBreach

Moving the goal posts :rolleyes:

I as long as the single spotter doesn't mind spotting a stranger working on " technique."

Your argument is too basic to address. The truth is someone working on technique shouldn't need a spotter. If you disagree you have very little experience lifting. Spotting should be reserved for PR, which with squats, should be two spotters on each end. Like I've already stated many times.

20. PoundForPound

PoundForPound Green Belt

I should be staring at the front story but her locking her knees is making me cringe.