1. Season 6 of the International Shoop League is now active! Click here to vote on your favorite shoop submissions!

SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 128 movie!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by europe1, Oct 10, 2018.

?

Let's pick the week 128 Movie

Poll closed Oct 12, 2018.
  1. Race With the Devil (1975)

23.8%
  2. Five Element Ninjas (1982)

33.3%
  3. Deep Cover (1992)

28.6%
  4. Zulu (1964)

14.3%
  1. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

Due to Bullitt and europe switching weeks, we're now back to europe's nominations! First time since Week 88! I'm not doing anything special, just following my regular method. Films I haven't seen but want to see!

[​IMG]

Here are our candidates!

Race With the Devil (1975)

Director: Jack Starrett

Stars: Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Loretta Swit

Premise: Two couples vacationing together in an R.V. from Texas to Colorado are terrorized after they witness a murder during a Satanic ritual.

Why europe1 picked it: I have long suspected that the entire population of Texas is secretly worshipping the devil. Now, because of Race With the Devil, I can finally discover if that is true or not!

Five Element Ninjas (1982)

Director: Chang Cheh

Stars: Tien-Chi Cheng, Tien Hsiang Lung, Meng Lo

Premise: A young martial artist seeks revenge on the Ninja who kills his martial arts brothers and teacher. He finds help in the form of a new teacher (who knows Ninjitsu) and new brothers. Together the four pupils face the Five Element Ninja challenge: Wood, Earth, Gold, Water, and Fire.

Why europe1 picked it: It was this or The Lady From Shanghai. I guess UFC 229 just got my blood all riled up. Chang Cheh is the master of classical Martial Arts movies. This one is highly regarded -- but I haven't seen it.

Deep Cover (1992)

Director: Bill Duke

Stars: Laurence Fishburne, Jeff Goldblum, Lira Angel

Premise: A black uniformed policeman is recruited by a devious drug enforcement agent to infiltrate a smuggling organization seeking to expand into designer drugs. This 'ugly side of the war on drugs' explores the context of race, identity and hypocrisy within a brutal and alienating investigation.

Why europe1 picked it: No real reason for this one. I've seen snippets of it and the movie looks awesome.

Zulu (1964)

Director: Cy Endfield

Stars: Stanley Baker, Jack Hawkins, Ulla Jacobsson

Premise: Outnumbered British soldiers do battle with Zulu warriors at Rorke's Drift.

Why europe1 picked it: @the muntjac thought he was sooo clever when he tried having the club banned by nominating Boss Athletic & Explosive several weeks ago. His scheme might have failed, but how about a movie about British Imperialism in Africa? Will that do the trick? Seriously though, I've always heard that Zulu was one of the better war-movies around, and one of the most historically accurate (which peaks my interest). I've seen the sequel too (Zulu Dawn) and that was quite a good one.

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Rimbaud82 @Deus Ex Machina

The top 5 theme is... uhh... damit we're running out of topics! "The Best and the Worst film of your Top 5/10 favorite directors!"​

2. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

Never really heard of these cept Zulu. All look aight except one looks too ridiculous for me to watch. Will be happy with 3/4 choices, may skip if it's the other one.

3. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre Titanium Belt

Tarantino best: Reservoir Dogs
    Worst: Jackie Brown

Kubrick best: A Clockwork Orange
    Worst: One of the ones I haven't seen (probably Barry Lyndon since I hate period pieces like that)

Spielberg best: Jaws
    Worst: AI

Cameron best: Aliens
    Worst: Piranha II

Tinto Brass best: Monamour
    Worst: Contributing to Caligula

europe1 and FrontNakedChoke like this.
  4. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

What a double whammy of a question. Let's see if I can get through it. First I need to start with my top five directors, which is no easy feat, and then I need to think back to what movies they made that I disliked. Let's see what happens.

I'm not going to list my top five directors in any order to save on that secondary ranking.

Hitchcock: Best - North by Northwest, Worst - The Birds, come at me
    Kubrick: Best - The Shining or Dr. Strangelove, Worst - Lolita
    Coen Brothers: Best - Big Lebowski, Worst - Intolerable Cruelty
    Lynch: Best - Blue Velvet, Worst - Lost Highway did nothing for me
    Ridley Scott: Best - Blade Runner or Alien, Worst - GI Jane or Russell Crowe's Robin Hood

HM:
    Tarantino: Best - Pulp Fiction or Inglourious Basterds, Worst - Death Proof
    Scorsese: Best - Goodfellas, Worst - Raging Bull
    Coppola: Best - Godfather 2, Worst - Jack

5. Yotsuya

Yotsuya Green Belt

<[analyzed}>

Hate the game, not the player.

6. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

The movie I voted for, I watched it once ages ago and sadly recall being disappointed. I love the people involved, though, so I'm hoping I get to give it a second chance in the SMC.

For my top theme list:

Stanley Kubrick

Best: 2001
    Worst (which, for Kubrick, is really just "least best"): Fear and Desire

Alfred Hitchcock

Best: Vertigo
    Worst: The Lady Vanishes

Ingmar Bergman

Best: Persona
    Worst: Hour of the Wolf

Martin Scorsese

Best: Raging Bull
    Worst: The Aviator (because of that God-awful Katharine Hepburn cartoon caricature he allowed)

Christopher Nolan

Best: Inception
    Worst: Following

You think Death Proof is better than Jackie Brown?

[​IMG]

Banish the thought, Cubo. Banish it right this instant. Barry Lyndon is a majestic masterpiece. Even if you hate period pieces, it's more a Kubrick piece than a period piece anyway.

See, picking best and worst depends on what you have and haven't seen. When I see The Birds on your Hitchcock list, I have to imagine that you've seen enough Hitchcock to where, if I were making a list based on the films that you've seen, something would be ranked below The Birds. When I see Lolita on your Kubrick list, though, I'm left to wonder if the same thing applies or if Lolita is your worst pick simply because you haven't seen the Kubrick movies that I think are inferior to Lolita.

[​IMG]

Now you're just fucking with me. Did @LHWBelt put you up to this? Am I being gaslit in here?

7. LHWBelt

LHWBelt Silver Belt

Some peeps got taste around here, thank god.

8. Cubo de Sangre

I found it more entertaining, once I got past QT killing off the characters I'd just spent time getting to know. With Jackie Brown I can appreciate the artistry of going over the same event from multiple characters' perspective, but it didn't work for me at all. That scene with DiNero taking bonghits like it was his first time and Bridgette Fonda hitting on him was hard to watch. At least with Death Proof there was some decent T&A and real car stunts.

Maybe someday I'll get the gumption to give it a try. Still haven't seen The Killing or Lolita either. Part of me just doesn't wanna be let down by ol' Stan.

FrontNakedChoke likes this.
  9. Bullitt68

Bullitt68 Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Death Proof for Tarantino is like The Lady Vanishes for Hitchcock: I never would've been able to imagine either of them making a movie that I'd actually hate. The only thing that I don't hate about Death Proof is Kurt Russell. Everything else is just fucking garbage. I mean, she actually says, "Gulp." She says it. Out loud.

<bball1>

Jackie Brown, on the other hand, is Tarantino's most underrated movie. I legit love that movie. Such a great, laid back vibe and a soundtrack that's neck-and-neck with Pulp Fiction's. Plus that insane cast doing amazing work, especially De Niro in that hilariously awesome bumbling idiot role. I understand why some Tarantino fans, especially the ones who love Inglourious Basterds and Django, may have some trouble with it, as it's far and away his subtlest, I'd even say littlest, movie, in the sense that everything that's great about it comes down to little things, but I dig the fuck out of it.

As I've said before on this subject:

[​IMG]

In my book, everything from Paths of Glory through Eyes Wide Shut isn't just good, isn't just great, isn't even just amazing: They're all fucking masterpieces. Every last film. Killer's Kiss and The Killing aren't masterpieces, but they're both solid. And even his debut, Fear and Desire, all the copies of which Kubrick tried to buy up and destroy because it embarrassed him, is pretty damn good. So I personally would never worry about being letdown by him. It's just not possible. He didn't know how to make bad shit.

10. europe1

europe1 It´s a nice peninsula to Asia

[​IMG]

We have a new member! He combines the two best parts of MMA! Please welcome... @GSPSAKU

<{gspressed}>

Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @moreorless87 @ArtemV @GSPSAKU @Bullitt68 @HenryFlower @Rimbaud82 @Deus Ex Machina

Another thing, I know that new members are supposed to not get their votes counted if they join while a poll is in progress. But GSPSAKU PM'd me before the poll was in started. So I'll count his vote as well for this week poll.

11. sickc0d3r

sickc0d3r Black Belt

Carpenter:
    Best: The Thing/Big Trouble In Little China
    Worst: Escape From LA

Coen Bros:
    Best: No Country For Old Men/Fargo/O Brother Where Art Thou
    Worst: Hail Cesar!

Spielberg:
    Best: Jaws/Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Worst: AI

Scorsese:
    Best: Taxi Driver/Goodfellas/Gangs Of New York
    Worst: Bringing Out The Dead

Tarantino:
    Best: Inglorious Basterds/Pulp Fiction/Reservoir Dogs
    Worst: Death Proof

So I cheated, sue me :cool:

12. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

187 on an undercover
    <{monica}>

13. MusterX

MusterX Titanium Belt

There is only one way in or out of this club @GSPSAKU

[​IMG]

Tufts and FrontNakedChoke like this.
  14. Cubo de Sangre

Maybe it's because I watched Death Proof a second time and accepted it for what it is. Upon first viewing it was a disappointment (and made Planet Terror look great!). Which gives me hope that Jackie Brown could also turn me around. Honestly Pulp Fiction and Res Dogs are his only two films that blew me away.

15. GSPSAKU

GSPSAKU Brown Belt

Initiation via Chokeslam? I’m down but it has to be by masked Kane :)

16. GSPSAKU

GSPSAKU Brown Belt

Coen Brothers:
    Best: No Country For Old Me
    Worst: Hail Cesar

Akira Kurasawa:
    Best: Seven Samurai
    Worst: The Most Beautiful

Zhang Yimou:
    Best: Raise the Red Latern
    Worst: Keep Cool

David Fincher
    Best: Se7en
    Worst: Alien 3

Martin Scorsese
    Best: Goodfellas (Departed sticks with me as well...F U if it’s not in your top 5, my list my picks lol)
    Worst: Kundun

17. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

I'm going to watch the three movies with votes regardless of how this shakes out @europe1

<mma4>

Tufts and europe1 like this.
  18. HenryFlower

HenryFlower (sheesh!)

have no horse in this particular race, so I skipped around each of the trailers & went w/ the one that entertained me the most based off of the quick snippets I saw.

sickc0d3r likes this.
  19. FrontNakedChoke

I liked Death Proof and Jackie Brown :oops:

Yotsuya and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  20. FrontNakedChoke

[​IMG]

It only counts if they go through the ring (imo)

[​IMG]

sickc0d3r and MusterX like this.