1. Season 6 of the International Shoop League is now active! Click here to vote on your favorite shoop submissions!

Prime Penn wouldve beat Conor to a pulp

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Massapiece, Oct 7, 2018.

1. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

Who said out box? I said he had better fundamentals. If you are unable to see that then you don’t know the boxing game. I’m not saying Conor is not good but he relies heavily on his power and timing.

You obviously have never payed attention to BJs top game. His passing and control techniques are not the same as Khabib’s but definitely up there.

Massapiece likes this.
  2. tru3f4n

tru3f4n Red Belt

yet if he was put on his back or couldn't connect on the feet he wouldn't do anything different he just did the same shit over and over. It took until what like round 4 before he even tried a low kick on Frankie in the rematch. He was a frontrunner in his fights he didn't fold or give up like some other fighters but he never changed it up once things stopped working other then maybe the Fitch fight.

3. kicks

kicks Orange Belt

4. PlayboyMixx

PlayboyMixx Green Belt

At his best, I would take Penn over both McGregor and Khabib. He could beat either guy at what they are best at.

Shoguns Prodigy** and Massapiece like this.
  5. Zeroinnes

Zeroinnes White Belt

<mma4>

6. ErnestoRoost

ErnestoRoost Brown Belt

I think the tippy-toe ‘Gandhi on mdma’ version could have a chance too tbh.

Massapiece and Gogoplatypus like this.
  7. Exemplar

Exemplar Fuligin Belt

I think Prime Penn’s versatile skillset, to include a hell of a jab and excellent BJJ, would give Conor a lot of trouble.

Massapiece likes this.
  8. RonniePickering

RonniePickering Blue Belt

9. Ballist1x

Ballist1x Green Belt

To the death!

10. Project 86

Project 86 Silver Belt

what is prime bj penn because 31 year old bj penn got outstruck by frankie edgar handily

<{Joewithit}>

11. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

I think that reputation stems largely from his two losses in the rematches against GSP and Edgar. It’s unfair to base who he was as a fighter solely off of those.

From Diaz on, it’s obvious that BJ was no longer a top fighter. He flashed a little in the first round against Diaz. Dominated the striking, took him down, won the grappling exchanges but he just couldn’t keep up with Diaz’s size and pace any more.

So let’s look at his legitimate losses. Leaving the Machida fight out obviously.

Pulver. Competitve fight. Penn didn’t gas. He had his moments but came up short. No shame in that. Probably was the best version of Pulver against a young BJ.

GSP 1. Dominated the first. Stuffed take downs. Threatened with submissions off his back when taken down. Lost a split decision. No shame in that.

GSP 2. GSP knew he would have a hard time with Penn’s striking and TDD. He came out with a very specific game plan to hold Penn against the cage and make him hold GSPs full body weight for several rounds. This slowed BJs arms down, allowed GSP to get the striking advantage and open BJ up for the TD. More of a great game plan and execution by GSP than a knock on BJ.

Hughes 2. Penn dominated every aspect of that fight. Had Hughes rocked. Stuffed takedowns. Threatened with some close submissions. Then he dislocated his rib. He came out and couldn’t even walk or get his hands up.

Edgar 1. Was a close fight that ended in a close decision. No shame in that.

Edgar 2. Edgar stepped his game up and left BJ guessing all night. BJ was never in this fight.

Like I said, he had two bad losses and somehow people use that to define his career.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

And 30 year old Conor got dropped by Khabib.

13. Bjjpitbull8

Bjjpitbull8 Black Belt

[​IMG]

Zeroinnes likes this.
  14. BEER

BEER Resident Feminist Platinum Member

I have a feeling it looks a lot like the second GSP fight. Khabib wears him out against the cage and mauls him on the ground rounds 2 and on.

15. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

But would Khabib would come out with that very specific game plan? GSP purposely put all his weight on BJs arms to slow down his strikes. Then he began to pick BJ apart standing. Then that opened BJ for the TD. It was very methodical and step by step because BJ, at that time, was the kind of fighter where it took those extra measures to beat him.

He didn’t just hold Bj against the fence.

Would Khabib have necessarily done that? Or would he get BJ down where BJ is less likely to wear his arms out?

16. aali14

aali14 Red Belt

Disagree, no version of BJ Penn could takedown Conor. And if he commits like Khabib he'd gas himself out even faster than usual. And this is coming from a Conor hater. He's no Khabib or Mendes.

17. n.diazismylife1999

n.diazismylife1999 Black Belt

Reminder that BJ Penn is 16-12 and only fought a couple of good fighters (all of whom he lost to)

RonniePickering likes this.
  18. BEER

BEER Resident Feminist Platinum Member

Other than the jabbing at range with leg kicks, that is just how Khabib fights. BJ had some of the best TDD in the game when he was fresh, but I could see Khabib overpowering him against the fence and tiring Penn with takedown attempts. After the first round, I think Khabib makes light work of Prime Penn, to be honest.

That's not to take away anything from Penn. I think he was a tremendous fighter and an all time great, but Khabib's wrestling/grappling and GnP is a whole different level.

Thepaintbucket likes this.
  19. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

That’s what happens when you fight top 10 fighters from the very beginning of your career with more than half of those top fighters above your weight class.

Also, you knock on the likes of Stevenson and Florian but you know what? Stevenson ragdolled Nate Diaz. One who was prime and serious about training. Florian made Guida look silly and that guy shortly went on to clearly beat a Prime Pettis.

If anything, those are underrated wins for BJ.

20. RiotWyatt

RiotWyatt Brown Belt

I can respect that opinion. I too give the advantage to Khabib but not as bad as GSP did to him.