1. Season 6 of the International Shoop League is now active! Click here to vote on your favorite shoop submissions!

I'm cutting the cable tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by mb23100, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Stokanator

Stokanator ****STOKED****

The system works quite different from torrents however for the user, wants it's setup the process for downloading shows/movies is quite similar. First you'd want to start by downloading the free software SABNZBD which would work similar to Utorrent, it processes the downloads. Then you need an indexer which costs around $15 a year works as your search engine. You'll also have to pay for a newsgroup provider, I recommend newshosting.com that runs around $12 a year. There are plenty of youtube videos that can run you through the setup process. With NZB files you're not an uploader, therefore you don't get hassled by your ISP like we see today with torrents. Also with this system it downloads to the full capacity of you internet connection. I have gigabit service so I download full 4k movies in about 12-15minutes.

2. method115

method115 Steel Belt

VPN for torrent, Netflix, and HULU are all I need.

3. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Do you have Hulu live? I was looking at that. Currently trying the free trial of PSVue and I got to say it's pretty good.

4. method115

method115 Steel Belt

My coworker talked to me about PSvue and loved it. Haven't tried Hulu live we just have the normal Hulu without ads. I can almost always next day to watch my shows. If I can't I just torrent it after release which takes about an hour to get downloaded and started.

5. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

It's pretty awesome so far. The biggest thing for me is the ability to record live stuff.

6. method115

method115 Steel Belt

Yea I thought about doing it once my coworker told me about it. Ultimately I felt it would be overkill and frankly it would just be for my wife and daughter as I prefer to download everything. They were really against getting rid of cable till I told them they could pay for it. They quickly learned to adjust.

mb23100 likes this.
  7. TestosterOWN

TestosterOWN ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้้้้้้้้้้#O͙ͦͯͦͯ͛

I have Internet, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime. If you wanna stream sports just google "Reddit ____ streams" insert any sport into the blank.

mb23100 likes this.
  8. TheWobbler

TheWobbler Brown Belt

Reddit has all your needs when it comes to streaming major sports.

9. fonzob1

fonzob1 Red Belt

Investing in Chromecast and Hulu Live television saved me like $50 a month. Cable TV will die a slow, deserving death.

10. catzilla

catzilla size 33 belt

you get all the youtube stuff, like cobra kai. You also get a bunch of channels with it. all the basics. The best ppart about it is the cloud, you can "DVR" and follow any shows u like and the fact you can split it between 5 other people. I like it..plus u can use it on any phone or pc... easy to stream it to your tv with a chromcast or if you have a smart tv it has the app usually.

therealdope likes this.
  11. evansusmc2

evansusmc2 Black Belt

I disagree. Joe Rogan’s late comedy special just popped up on Netflix.

Case closed.

12. nhbfan8080

nhbfan8080 Black Belt

Isn't the rollback of Obama's net neutrality laws going to hurt streaming speeds in the future when internet providers start rethrottling speeds?

13. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

I'm looking at cutting the cord as well. We currently don't watch TV anymore...at all. But we got "bundled" by TimeWarner who became Spectrum and we're being charged $70/month for like 8 channels. It's a fucking joke as over the years they kept on raising the fees (not the pricing, but the fees) and at the same time took a couple of channels away each year. We started with probably 50+ channels and now we're down to just the main networks plus some bullshit channels. Problem is they up the price of internet if you cancel the TV...total shit show but that's what happens when there is zero competition.

We already have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and BritBox totaling $30 per month, so we're already there but somehow are still paying an exorbitant cost for basically nothing.

14. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

Well so far I have PS Vue free trial and to me it's great. It doesn't have CBS here which is a big no go for my gf. Gonna try Hulu live I guess and see how it is. I also have Netflix and amazon

usmctanker242 likes this.
  15. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

So I finally sacked up and cut the cable this morning. I had no idea that when Spectrum took over for Time Warner they upgraded service for all people who came down and switched out their equipment. So I cut my bill by $40 per month and at the same time got a home wi-fi extender, and went from 200Mbps to 400Mbps. It's a good day!

Hulu Live is probably where I'll put that money since it has just about every channel / show that we used to watch.

mb23100 likes this.
  16. Ladder Master

Ladder Master Black Belt

I have tried SLing TV, Playstation Vue and Direct TV now.
    Sling TV is hands down the worst.

Out of the 3 I thought Vue was the best. However with Direct TV now's basic plan I believe 40$
    you can add HBO for 5$, thats what we currently use.

So 80$ for around 200 Mbps internet service.
    Nettlfix HD 10.99$
    Plus Direct TV Now for 45$
    This covers most of what we would watch.

mb23100 likes this.
  17. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

We currently have the free trial of Hulu live. I gotta say I hate the interface. I highly recommend you check out PSvue if you can.

18. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

Do you need a Playstation for it?

19. mb23100

mb23100 Gold Belt

No. But you might not like it so much if you're not used to PlayStation. What I like about it is the interface. It's easy to use and super fast

20. boingyman

boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

It's been 2 years since I cut the cord. I don't miss it. I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime which I hardly watch anyways. All I need is the internet. With the toddler and a infant I really have no time for much leisure TV except for my ocassional anime binge.