BLACK WIDOW Movie ($15 Million Salary for Scarlett Johansson; Director Found)

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Dragonlordxxxxx, Jan 10, 2018.

1. SmilinDesperado

SmilinDesperado Silver Belt

Marvel only makes 2 or 3 movies a year at most.
    Do you think they would make more money from a Black Widow movie, or from an Xmen movie?

There is no way it is more practical, or financially beneficial to do a Black Widow movie over another new project. Antman and Guardians of the galaxy didnt need anyone to introduce them, and neither will Captain Marvel.
    It makes far more sense to have an Avenger cameo in a newcomers movie, ( a la RDJ in Spiderman) than make a solo movie for C characters like Black Widow, Hawkeye, or Falcon.

2. Da_Rev_Ong

Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

It is more practical. Remember, they don't have the X-Men of Fantastic 4 right now. Until that deal is done, they can't even approach that.

However, they are still a movie studio that has to make movies now. In which case they have no choice but to make more movies with what they have on hand. The grand thing is, if the most likely thing does happen and they end up with the X-Men and Fantastic 4 in their lap, they can insert them in like they did with Spider-Man with the Captain America: Civil War story line.

In that case, they will spend $80 to $100 million tops on BW movie, and if it makes $400 or $500 million back in the meantime, that's profit. It's definitely a lot more practical than having to spend close to $200 Million on a X-Men movie that will take years to develop, market, and hope they can successfully insert it into the lineup without knowing if it will have a better chance to succeed.

You see, there's a reason why they make movies like Ant-Man. They serve their purpose as further establishing the Marvel lore, and they're low risk and turn a ton of profit. So you can make an easy play for a movie that YOU YOURSELF SAID YOU HAVE FAITH IN and see a couple million dollars in profit in the next 18 months, or you can risk trying to figure out how to properly inject a newly acquired IP and fully develop it at three to five times the cost hoping to see it turn around a profit in 2 to 3 years from now. That's what I'm talking about as practical.

Again, are you going to change the light bulb with the one you already have in your cabinet, or are you going to spend the time and money to go out and research a fancy new set of bulbs that might require you to change your light fixtures? In one instance you'll be able to see when the lights go out rather quickly without any huge costs occurred. The other sees you running around spending time and money, and you may still end up with the same problem of sitting in the dark when you get back home.

Kiyashin likes this.
  3. taurus

taurus Tiger knee belt

Well, of course the "best" characters went out of Marvel first, following the market crash of the 90's. But I think you're confusing C-level/left-overs/hand-me-downs with "Not X-men, FF and Spidey". That's like saying Flash is C level character, just because someone wanted to buy Batman and Superman first.

SmilinDesperado likes this.
  4. Da_Rev_Ong

Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

You need to also include: Not Daredevil, not Punisher, not Ghost Rider, not Blade, and a shit load of other characters that were not only licensed out, but in the late 90's did not have their comic series on the chopping block for selling less than 10,000 copies on a monthly basis. The big difference is that the other licensed comics still sold.

[​IMG]

Once again, I will reference the whole "Heroes Reborn" debacle that was used to boost the sales of Iron-Man, Captain America, Thor, The Hulk and (incidentally) the Fantastic Four. Marvel was so desperate to keep those characters relevant, that they gave the Image guys carte blanche to do what they will with it. While it did help boost sales for those series in the short term, that whole set of comics is viewed as some of the worst stories ever developed, so much so that Marvel themselves disavowed it as cannon (declaring it all occurred in a "pocket universe). It's really easy to revel in the state that those characters are in now, but that took a lot of hard work, lots of creative wrangling, a shit load of cash, and over a decade of perseverance to make the MCU what it is now.

BTW - The Flash (no matter what you think of him) was never a C character. He's never had issues selling his own comics. The aforementioned characters, well I presented a lot of proof that shows that was the case.

5. taurus

taurus Tiger knee belt

Don't get me wrong, I'm not debating whether they (Marvel and the characters) had a rough time in the 90's or not, or that it took a lot of creative effort, hard work and perseverance for MCU to get where it is. It remains a fact. I'm just stating that Cap and Hulk, regardless of troubles in the sales department, were not C level characters. That's my opinion, bcs what is B, C, D, E, and how many characters are in each category (be it 3, 5 or 10), remains a completely biased opinion. And yeah, there is a tiny difference between B and C. I'd have no problems with you writing those were B level characters (right after Spidey, X-men and FF), and would have not been so (unnecessarily) harsh in my initial post.

6. Dragonlordxxxxx

Dragonlordxxxxx Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Update: October 11, 2018

Scarlett Johansson Lands $15 Million Payday for BLACK WIDOW Movie

[​IMG]

Stick around the Marvel Cinematic Universe long enough and you’ll start to make real money. Scarlett Johansson, who has appeared in six movies as Black Widow, is finally landing a $15 million payday for an upcoming standalone film centered on the Marvel superheroine, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

That salary equals what Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth earned for playing Captain America and Thor, respectively, in this year’s Avengers: Infinity War. Evans and Hemsworth also nabbed that same $15 million payday for Captain America: Civil War and Thor: Ragnarok, respectively, as well as the upcoming fourth Avengersfilm.

Marvel typically doesn’t open up its wallet for first outings – Robert Downey Jr. included as he took home $500,000 for the first Iron Man. Johansson pulled down about a low-seven figure salary for the first Avengersmovie in 2012 (compared to Downey’s $50 million) after making her debut in 2010's Iron Man 2. Still, Chadwick Boseman nabbed a seven-figure paycheck to star in Black Panther ($2 million, according to sources, which well tops Downey's first showing). Boseman's salary is expected to go up significantly for a Black Panther sequel. And Brie Larson, whose Oscar win for 2015's Room figures into her deals, will be paid some $5 million for next year’s Captain Marvel movie (Larson landed a generous payday, but in exchange signed a seven-picture deal that locks her into multiple franchises.)

While the numbers would be astronomical, even debilitating, for most studios, they make sense when figuring in the appeal of Marvel movies, now 10 years into their cinematic universe. While talent deals add to more than $100 million of Infinity War's budget, it helps business affairs executives sleep easier knowing each Avengersmovie easily crosses the $1 billion worldwide mark, with Infinity War grossing an astounding $2 billion. And Marvel typically allows its actors to share in the upside of a film, including bonuses of up to several million dollars based on the film’s performance.

Multiple knowledgable sources confirmed Johansson's Black Widow pay figure to THR. A Marvel spokesperson, in response to this story, said in a statement: "Marvel Studios disputes the accuracy of these numbers, and as a matter of policy, we never publicly disclose salaries or deal terms."

Ultimately, it appears that Evans, who announced that Avengers 4 will be his last film as Captain America, is leaving while the going is good.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...ett-johansson-lands-15-million-payday-1151328

7. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Dancing on the ashes of the World

Nothing I have ever seen Scarlett Johansson do is remotely worth $15M -- and that includes the movie where she got naked.

8. D Train

D Train Silver Belt

Avengers were never C level. B level, maybe. Not top tier like X-Men or Spider-Man, but definitely not slouches either.

Ikuza likes this.
  9. One MMA Fan

One MMA Fan #1

They better pair her up or something, not really interested in her standalone movie.

I suspect a smaller scope movie from her history, spy stuff.

10. Rygu

Rygu Black Belt Platinum Member

I can't wait to not watch it ever

11. method115

method115 Steel Belt

If they do some sort of Salt\Bourne type movie I'm into those so but overall I've never really cared for her character that much in the avengers.

12. Kraysla

Kraysla Brown Belt

I think it has potential. Could be a cool spy thriller with action and a hot chick. I liked the flashbacks to the Red Room in Age of Ultron, and Marvel has been killing it, so this should be at least decent.

13. Squint Eastwood

Squint Eastwood DESERVE

14. LuchaBear

LuchaBear The Last Son of Harpy

I don't think this movie is needed at all, as well as a Hawkeye movie. I bet it will be better than Black Panther though. Not hard to do..

15. Anung Un Rama

Anung Un Rama The Right Hand of Doom Platinum Member

Judy Greer is like 2 films away from that kind of payday.
    You're welcome.

Paul Newbman likes this.
  16. Myrddin Wild

Myrddin Wild Lets enjoy our time together!

That one where she got naked was such a slow moving snoozer. When people talk about rating movies as a 1 or a 2... that would be one of my benchmarks for that level of cinema. Her showing all her goodz was the only redeeming quality

However, I thought she was absolutely stellar in Lucy. & that show was pushing close to half a billion in movie sales alone, so I think it's fair to say she would've been worth 15 mill in that one. Morgan Freeman was a nice touch, but she drove that movie.

ghost in a shell was pretty decent. Not sure how well it did at box office though.