Amazon scraps 'sexist AI' recruiting tool that showed bias against women

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Scheme, Oct 10, 2018 at 6:30 PM.

1. Hunter Simpson

Hunter Simpson 2GM/c^2 belt Platinum Member

If you have to put in a specific rule for everything it's not really AI anymore and it doesn't do what it is supposed to do.

2. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Gold Belt

We have to teach people specific things as well.

3. BjPenn2017

BjPenn2017 Black Belt

Probably just picked the most qualified candida... sorry sexism. It was sexist.

4. Hunter Simpson

Apparently, in its current state, that wasn't going to work so they had to dump it altogether. The article says they tried to fix it but couldn't.

5. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

I'm slightly confused. If Amazon is 40% women then how does this little gem fit into the article:
    “the basic premise of expecting a machine to identify strong job applicants based on historic hiring practices at your company is a surefire method to rapidly scale inherent bias and discriminatory recruitment practices.”
    I have to wonder if the AI is presuming that the women are going to miss more work - have kids, take kids to dr appts., miss for kid's school activities, etc.

6. Hunter Simpson

How fucking dumb are you people, seriously? If you base your software's hiring expectations on sexist standards, the result is going to be sexist selections. Is that hard to understand? Really?

Honest to fuck I never realized until lately just how many members of the He-man Woman Haters Club are also members of Sherdog.
    [​IMG]

You do? Pray tell, how does one follow from another? How do you get from "attended all-women university" to "might miss a lot of work", ffs?

The people responsible for the software say it contains unwanted and unfair biases, and your first assumption is that they must be lying to cover up attendance issues?

7. BjPenn2017

BjPenn2017 Black Belt

Lol you're a loon <Lmaoo>

8. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

I think the word woman might lead it believe "might miss a lot of work". While it might be a novel concept for you to accept, the fact is that on average men work more hours and miss less work than women across their careers.

Btw- it only discriminated against 2 all-women's colleges; not the other all women schools? That isn't odd to you either?

While we're on the subject --- women that went to all-women colleges might be perceived as not having proper diversity to be a f'n asset. That one probably has your head spinning, but think about it for a minute and you'll understand.

9. Hunter Simpson

Such a cogent reply is truly worthy of the War Room.
    <{1-12}>

10. Hunter Simpson

LOL don't talk down to someone when your logic is this bad. If there is some evidence of such a perception, shouldn't it also apply to people like, say, Kavanaugh, who attended an all male prep school; and in turn, wouldn't that suggest there was no inherent bias, yet such biases were found, proving that your reason doesn't exist?

11. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

What; you skip the answer I gave you and attacked the aside comment I made about the 2 all-girl schools?

*-The reason IA may favor male over female candidates is that in the long run males will work longer and miss less. Not sexiest, just facts about our society.

The aside comment is that going to an all-woman's college could be deemed as un-diversified. And I have no clue on why you'd mention Kavanaugh when he went to co-ed YALE.

12. Hunter Simpson

If all girls or all boys anything is a factor, they all are.

And again, you missed the point. If you accept that it's ok to be biased against women on the assumption they might miss more work, then why hire any women? Why isn't that valid a basis for men-only hiring? Or, in the case of the AI, why would it be considered a problem if it's "just facts about our society"?

13. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

I agree that they should all be, but the story only indicated that 2 of all-girl colleges where dinged.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an all-male college anymore. Regardless you brought up Kavanaugh who attended a co-ed college.

Obviously it wasn't considered a problem by the AI; even after Amazon tried to change the code, which is why I asked if that was one of the factors. The bot is just picking the candidates; it's Amazon that's determined that it's being biased.

Amazon is 40% female so they don't hire just men regardless of what the bot told them to do.

14. Lvnvmma

Lvnvmma Orange Belt

15. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Silver Belt

Why are judges using AI to help them sentence people? Every human is different. Every circumstance is unique. That is why we have judges, you know, for their judgements.

MPD-Psycho likes this.
  16. Iceberg Slim

Iceberg Slim Brown Belt

sounds like a great way to design A.I. (artificial ignorance)